Tuesday, March 04, 2008

potpourri

Well, it's the first post of March.

First of all, it is time that the citizens of Chicago and Cook County RECALL Todd Stroger. This man is a liar when he said that he wouldn't raise taxes and moreover, he is going to drive middle-class people out of Chicago. I would like for those residents of West Rogers Park and elsewhere to give me one good reason to NOT RECALL this man. By November, the sales tax in Cook County will be over 10%. Way to go, Cook County. By the way, where is Andrew McKenna, the Illinois State GOP Chairman? Does he have anyone worth challenging Stroger or is he too focused on Oberweis retaining Denny Hastert's seat?

Secondly, Barack Obama or John McCain is pretty thin-skinned if calling someone by their full name is offensive. Imagine if these folks were around when Abraham Lincoln or Thomas Jefferson ran for President.

Three: I like Rosenblum's and hope it stays on Devon, as opposed to moving to Touhy or near there. I lost a couple of kippot recently, so I went there the last Sunday in February to get some kippot and it was good. Rosenblum's is a different type of a store than Kesher Stam.

Lastly, for the folks who disagree with me on the death penalty, I am curious to know what your alternatives are, especially with respect to sentencing. Even if I agree with your premise that state-sanctioned killing is wrong, the crime in Connecticut deserves a swift punishment. What would that be?

Thanks to all and have a good day.

9 Comments:

Blogger wrpn said...

Well at least you can buy Sephardic siddurim at Kesher Stam which is no longer the case at Rosenblums. (When Mr. Rosenblum z'l was alive and ran the store, you could buy any type of Nusach or Denominational Siddur imaginable)

I don't believe we have Recall in Illinois which is unfortunate as, a Peraica supporter in '06, I share your frustration with how things are going in our county.

As to the death penalty, prisons are for evil doers. I do not want the state to have the power of life and death. I've emailed Robert Meeropol, the son of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, and his life is testimony enough as to why there is no place for capital punishment in a democratic society.

March 05, 2008 4:29 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

Dear WRPN,

Thanks for a good response on a) the book stores and b) death penalty. If I understand you correctly, the prisons would take the evil doers off of the streets. That is a good idea. There was another guy who also was opposed to the death penalty.

As for Stroger, I don't know what to do. I predict that middle-class whites will go to Naperville or elsewhere because the tax burden is so high. Orthodox Jews won't because unless a whole bunch of people decide to go to Skokie or Highland Park, I don't see that as much of an improvement.

Lastly, I apologize to you for my "tone" over the summer.

Have a good day (and longer one with more daylight).

JN

March 05, 2008 4:33 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

I went to Rosenblums for Kippot, not Sephardic Siddurim. Kesher Stam I will frequent another time. I don't remember if they're open on Sunday.

March 05, 2008 4:34 PM  
Blogger Moshe said...

A sales tax of over 10% is outrageous. This will be the highest sales tax in the country. We plan to do as much shopping as possible in Lake County.

If Rosenblums does move, I hope they will take the opportunity to improve the layout of their store. Someone from Roselbum's should go visit Israel Book Shop in Boston to see what a good Jewish bookstore should look like.

March 06, 2008 6:21 AM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

Moshe, Stroger makes Mike Bloomberg and NYC look like Alabama or Utah.

March 06, 2008 4:25 PM  
Blogger wrpn said...

Mr Normand-

There is a Chabad House in Naperville, a beautiful suburb, and should it grow an exodus to well run DuPage County would be an excellent alternative for dati Jews wary of high Cook County taxes. Ofcourse running to Naperville would be much easier for married folks like myself than for you singles.

March 06, 2008 5:49 PM  
Blogger frumhouse said...

I like Rosenblum's too. I shop at both Rosenblum's and Kesher Stam. For some reason, the thought of Rosenblum's being located further west on Touhy makes it seem so far away. How lazy am I?

March 09, 2008 4:59 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

WRPN, the Constitution Party of Illinois sent me something and is trying to get all of the Ron Paul voters to vote for the Constitution Party this fall. Ron Paul dropped out of the race after the mini Super Tuesday primary.

March 09, 2008 9:10 PM  
Blogger wrpn said...

JMN-

Much remains to be seen as to whom the Constitution Party will nominate at their convention next month and if they even get on the ballot here in Illinois. I know a few Constitutionalists working to get the 40,000 signatures the CP needs to gain ballot status. If Chuck Baldwin is the CP standard bearer & if it gets on the ballot, it will have my vote in November.

March 12, 2008 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home