Sunday, February 24, 2008

reason I am lukewarm on the Cougars

To all of the Basketball fans from Eastern Washington, this post's for you.

I grew up in Seattle and followed the Sonics, Seahawks and Mariners. In addition, since the University of Washington is in Seattle, and had a good football team, I rooted for them. Basketball is a different story. UW had two good years in 1984 and 1985 when they made the Tournament, in 84 they beat Duke to make the Sweet 16.

Washington State University is about a six hour drive from where I grew up and later events in life took me to New York City and Chicago. There aren't a lot of Cougar fans in those places. Moreover, even the non-observant Jews in Seattle didn't go to WSU. So it's a cultural thing with me.

If they win or have a run like Gonzaga did in 1999, then I am open to changing my mind. I am not a Cougar hater or hata like some would say. But I am a big city person. For example, one of my friends who roots for New England teams grew up in Toronto, but his father or grandfather grew up in Connecticut, so he roots for the Celtics, Red Sox and Patriots. He loves UConn and I don't like UConn but I respect them. One of my brother's friends is a huge Syracuse fan. Those are teams that I gravitate towards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home