Sunday, October 07, 2007

Simchat Torah

Well, as much as I tried to go elsewhere, I spent Simchat Torah in West Rogers Park. I had a decent time, enjoyed the dancing and the weather, though 85 degrees in October is a little much for me. In any event, it was nice and the hakafot were good, although next time I go to a certain synagogue, I should get there late because otherwise I will have to hold the Torah scroll for a while, and it's heavy.

Didn't see single guys around for some reason, perhaps we weren't at the same synagogues for whatever reason.

Eventually, I will make it to Skokie, which is the new "Lakeview" as I no longer will go there. Suffice it to say that their version of Modern Orthodoxy and mine are quite different.

Too bad shabat couldn't end at 9 pm last night. That Cub finale was a disaster. I haven't seen a team fold like that in the playoffs. I know that the Padres got swept by the Cards two years ago, but the Padres were an inferior team. The Cubs at least had some experience. It's too bad that MLB can't revoke their license for a year. I would revoke the Cubs and Pirates' licenses for a year as both teams are big losers and show no signs of winning. It would even the number of teams in the leagues, as the AL has fourteen and the NL would have fourteen. For all Cub fans or Chicagoans who would say, but we wouldn't have baseball, my response is simple: go to 35th and Shields and watch the White Sox, who won two years ago.

Hey the Northwestern Wildcats and Illini won football games yesterday so at least we have decent college football teams. Speaking of College football, I think Appy. State got upstaged, at least for a week. Stanford went into the LA Coliseum as a 41-point underdog, and beat USC, 24-23. Student Body Left and Heisman U took it on the chin last night. Guess Cal or Oregon could win the Pac-10, which is good news for Pac-10 fans outside of LA.

2 Comments:

Blogger wrpn said...

Mr. Normand-

I think I saw you on Sukkot at my Bait Knesset, the Ohel Shalom Torah Center.

I'm curious what your reservations are about Rabbi Lopatin's Lakeview community might be?

October 08, 2007 6:41 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

You are correct that I was at Ohel Shalom on the first day of Sukkot. Normally, I go to Rabbi Azose's synagogue for Sephardic Tefillah in Chicago, however, I was eating lunch on Touhy so it made more sense to go to Ohel Shalom.

Two young guys I know, Ken Bloom and David Dulin are part of that minyan if I understand it correctly.

In any event, about Rabbi Lopatin's community, it is not like the Upper West Side of Manhattan, more specifically Rabbi Alan Schwartz's synagouge, Ohev Tzedek. OZ (Ohev Tzedek) has a lot of YU/Stern graduates or with that level of knowledge and observance.

Today's post will be about what I learned last night at Torah Mitzion at KINS.

October 10, 2007 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home