Monday, September 17, 2007

Rosh Hashana

Rosh Hashana at my cousins was a nice experience. I enjoyed the Sephardic tefillah (prayer service) at Sephardic Congregation. Thursday afternoon I also did Bikur Holim and visited the sick while listening to the Ball Tokea (shofar blower) blow the shofar (Ram's horn) at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston. From there I went to another Synagogue closer to where I live and then had a nice meal with a bunch of people including the guys from Kollel Torah Mitzion.

There's an affliction in the Orthodox single community called Femophobia (fear of speaking to single women) and Guyophobia (fear of speaking to single men). It seems to afflict the Modern Orthodox Machmir-Chassidic/Yeshivish singles. I hope that I don't get it, but the quality of single women is not what I thought it would be in the third largest Jewish community in the USA.

Also at Sephardic, I noticed that the single women who are new to the fold so to speak seem to come for Mincha and Arvit, whereas the ones who have been religious for longer, only show up in the morning. I know the reasons why, it's very interesting.

2 Comments:

Blogger frumhouse said...

My husband's Bubbie was at Saint Francis..my mother-in-law was there and said that the shofar blowing was amazing. Also, she was impressed that Rabbi A. did the full round of blasts and not just the 40 minimum that women have to hear. You also did a big chesed by doing bikur cholim on Rosh Hashana!

September 24, 2007 1:21 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

Thanks again. Maybe the more Chesed, the more the walls of Femophobia and Guyophobia break down.

March 23, 2008 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home