Monday, December 31, 2007

back in Chicago

Well, I had a great week in Seattle. I don't talk about that on my blog, for certain reasons. I like to keep family matters private.

In any event, I will go into things like Religious Zionism and how that influences my outlook on religion and current events in America and Israel, maybe tomorrow.

One thing that I don't understand is why Fox 32 in Chicago is so progressive and very similar to the other stations (WGN, WMAQ, WBBM and WLS). If they think that hiring certain underprivliged people to appease certain rabble rousers will work, I disagree. WFLD needs to be different than the others.

As far as Chicago sports goes, Bears had a good end to a disappointing season. This team is stuck in the 1950's-1960's. That's why they don't win. While a great defense, with an outstanding middle linebacker and a good running back worked 45 years ago, it doesn't work in today's NFL.

Bulls are disappointing, I think that Paxson needs to be replaced at the end of the season. He's a mediocre talent evaluator IMHO. If Chicago basketball fans want a 42 win team that loses early, Pax is your guy.

Good thing that the Illini football team is in the Rose Bowl. The basketball team can be summed up in three letters N-I-T. Any team that loses to Tennessee State doesn't deserve to be in the NCAA tournament.

Gonzaga lost to Oklahoma and Tennessee recently. Good win for Washington in Baton Rouge over the weekend. WSU is fourth in the country. Next year I hope they can play a big name big conference team on the road or in a neutral site.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Josh, you wrote, "...hiring certain underprivliged people to appease certain rabble rousers will work..."

Exactly what is this comment about? What underprivileged people are you talking about?

December 31, 2007 8:23 AM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

I referring to the common practice in TV today to make sure to hire women and blacks and other ethinc groups who weren't as well-represented. I probably should have waited to post this comment after work.

In any event, I am not a big fan of affirmative action. I certainly don't understand why a "conservative" or right-leaning organization like Fox would do this. CBS, ABC and NBC I can grasp. Fox is supposed to be different. That is my point.

Happy 2008!

December 31, 2007 2:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What? You are a Jewish man, living in Rogers Park (one of the most colorfully diverse communities in our city), who objects to the hiring of women and ethnic minorities? I asked for clarification because your original post sounded rather bigoted and prejudicial. Thanks for the confirmation.

You seem very comfortable with this belief. I wonder if you care to explain "why" you think the way you do?

December 31, 2007 2:50 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

Okay, let me give you an example of what I am talking about. Last night, on the Final Word on Fox 32, they had this reporter cover the Illini football team in LA for the Rose Bowl. She may be nice, however, I don't think she's such an X's and O's expert and she isn't the most feminine woman around. Fox 32 has a younger more attractive reporter who does feature stories, but they won't use her on sports. If Fox wishes to stand out from its competitors, they should not ape WGN and use tomboys. Otherwise, I can just watch WGN and be happy with my tomboyness. One of the reasons women reporters are hired is for eye candy. Some are clearly not and quite frankly are tom boys.

Being in Rogers Park which is diverse is nice and all, however, I like to aspire to be the best I can and not be held back by outside pressures. In My humble opinion, we should be past the point of affirmative action and not so wrapped up in it.

Perhaps the easiest solution is to accept it and move on. I know people with clearly more "close-minded" views than mine, but they don't blog.

Anyway, this isn't the biggest issue in the world. Maybe I can be enlightened.

J

December 31, 2007 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home