Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Washington State

Let me explain why I don't like Washington State.

I grew up in Seattle. Very few people that I knew would have considered attending that school because a) it's far away from Seattle and b) it isn't such a great academic school.

In my humble opinion, people who attend Washington State from the Seattle area go there because they can get in there and don't want to go out of state.

For example, I knew people who attended the University of Washington, Bellevue Community College, University of California-Berkeley, Columbia, Brandeis U (Waltham, MA) just to name a few of the schools.

Jewish people, whether really Orthodox or just three day a year types don't want to go to a school which is 85% white (or thereabouts).

Yes the University of Washington isn't perfect, both academically, religiously and athletically. However, it's going to take more than two wins over Winthrop and Notre Dame to get me to join the Crimson and Gray bandwagon.

If Sedihawk and Brinkhater and the rest of the folks at WSUFOOTBALL.BLOGSPOT.COM want to argue these points, I would be happy to engage them in a discussion.

Perhaps they don't have Jewish friends and all of their fellow Cougar fans celebrate Easter and not Passover.

I mentioned this before, but I am expanding on a previous point. Moreover, I would be willing to bet that Christine Gregoire, the incompetent governor of Washington State has a lot of folks in her administration from WSU.



Here's the link to Cougar faithful

http://wsufootball.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger wrpn said...

Well I'm a religious Jew & I earned the equivalent of an MBA from a school that is over 90% white and very Catholic, Lewis University in Romeoville, IL. It was the best experience of my academic career. I'd recommend Lewis to anyone, including your troubled singles in West Rogers Park!

March 26, 2008 5:00 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

This was an Anti-WSU post as far as rooting for them in sports. The subject of non-religious institutions of higher learning wasn't one I wished to get into.

I have a co-worker friend from Detroit, who isn't Jewish who attended the University of Michigan. There are two schools that he won't root for, Ohio State and Michigan State. Washington State is similar for University of Washington fans. I rooted for them so that it would improve UW and Gonzaga, not because I intrinsically love WSU.

March 31, 2008 4:19 PM  
Blogger JMNOR55 said...

I don't know much about Lewis University's graduate program, however, I would suspect it's pretty good and a fraction of the price of Northwestern and U of Chicago.

I attended Adelphi University over 10 years ago to get a paralegal certificate and 2 years ago I took a course in Intellectual Property Law at John Marshall Law School.

Where one does graduate school work is different than rooting for athletic powerhouses in football, basketball and baseball.

I don't think that I would consider going to U of Florida or Louisiana State University, as good as their football teams are.

In any event, a Hag Sameach and Pesah Allegre.

April 09, 2008 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home